What Damages Can Be Compensated For In A Personal Injury Case
If you have been involved in a personal injury and are looking to receive compensation for the injury that you have sustained, you will want to know what exactly it is that you can be compensated for. Here are the types of compensation that is allotted for in a personal injury case:
- Medical Treatment: Medical treatment costs are almost always looked at in a personal injury case. You will typically be compensated for the cost of the full treatment you had to receive after you have sustained the injury, as well as the cost of future medical care that will be needed because of the injury, such as physical therapy.
- Lost Income: Your lost income is also looked at if your injury directly impacted the amount that you are typically able to make had the injury not taken place. You are usually compensated for the amount of time you had to miss work because you were in the hospital being treated for an injury, as well as for future loss of income. Future loss of income can be compensated for if, for example, your injury has done permanent physical damage that has caused you to be unable to work in the position you held previously.
- Property Loss: Typically, you will be awarded fair market value for any property that was lost or needed repairs because of the accident. For example, if it involved in a car accident, you will be compensated for vehicle damages.
- Pain and Suffering: In some cases, you may be compensated for pain and suffering that you have endured. This can be both mental pain and suffering and physical pain and suffering. If the injury has caused you to have a change in your mental health, you will be compensated for this or if the injury has caused you to be in consistent pain after the injury, you will be compensated for this as well. This type of compensation is usually monitored by your doctor who will be able to determine whether or not pain and suffering is something you are dealing with because of the injury.
- Loss of Consortium: A loss of consortium means that if the injury has caused you marital problems or other family problems, such as the relationship with your children, then there is a chance to be compensated for this. However, this type of compensation is usually given to your spouse or children versus yourself.
Knowing the types of compensation that a personal injury case deals with, you can work with your personal injury lawyer, one like Marquard & Associates, to ensure that you are compensated for everything that you need to be compensated for.
19 February 2015